Urinary tract infection (UTI), for those that experience them can be debilitating, painful, and sometimes very difficult to treat. Conventional treatment is an anti-biotic which generally can clear them up, and is important to prevent the infection travelling to the kidneys. However sometimes all they do is supress the bacteria for a time which then re-occur when the course is finished. For this reason it is important to have some supporting remedies to help strengthen the immune system and keep the urinary tract healthy. Below are some that can be helpful:
- Drink 100% unsweetened cranberry juice every day (approx 8oz and 16oz if you are experiencing an infection)
- Drink barley water – boil pearl barley in a large pot of water, strain and drink the water with some lemon juice to taste. An old remedy but effective!
- Wash before and after intercourse, use water with a couple of drops of tea tree
- Drink water or 100% un sweetened cranberry juice before intercourse and make sure to urinate afterwards to flush the urinary tract
- Try taking a supplement of Vit C to strenghen the immune system
- Try taking a supplement of D mannose, a natural supplement specifically to support the urinary tract and bladder
- Take Uva Ursi herbal tincture to support the health of the urinary tract (August 2012 -Due to European law this is no longer available over the counter – you would have to contact a herbalist to get this)
- Drink lots of water – generally is good for health but also serves to flush bacteria
- Have 3 sessions of maya abdominal therapy once the infection has cleared. This can restore balance and correct any organ aligment that may have contributed to the infection in the first place. The home self care massage routine is invaluable to support the health of the pelvis and can prevent re-occurance.
Always consult with a medical practitioner if you are experiencing an infection, and check that any supplements you are considering are not contraindicated if you are already taking medication.